Friday, April 15, 2011

Effects of My Thyroid Problems

I have been trying to let something go but it's just getting to me so much. For the past week, I have been experiencing a pretty drastic amount of hair loss. In no other words that can possibly explain how I have been feeling lately.. I've been freaking out. I am not losing my hair in blotches, patches and there hasn't been noticeable balding or anything like that--THANK GOD!

I can only relate it to the problems that I've been having with my thyroid. I did some blood tests this past Monday, which came back normal. My TSH levels are still very low, which is indicative that I'm still hyper. Mine are still off the charts (<0.06), when normal range is between 0.5 and 5.0.

I got a hair cut for the first time in over a year on Monday and I've been trying to take good care of my hair this week. Needless to say, I'm still losing quite a bit of hair. I am not blowdrying it straight, flat ironing it or doing anything that may dry it out or be too much stress on it.

*sighhhhhh*














The picture of the hairball in my hand is from one shower. I've had several showers with that much hair remaining in the drain at the end of my shower. Disturbing, right?

The only thing I keep telling myself is that I am doing the best that I can to treat the problem and I obviously know what is causing my hair loss. I have appointments with my endocrinologist, nephrologist (kidney doctor) and my primary doctor coming up. This is temporary while I finish treatment and my hair will come back...

All I can do is control the things that I do to my body. What I eat. What kind of exercise I get. How much sleep I get. In the meantime, I understand that stressing out about my hair loss is going to be counterproductive. Either way, I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Kristina - sorry to hear you had so much on your mind last night. You looked beautiful. I hope you and the docs can figure out what's going on. For what it is worth I have had a similar problem for years and always have bald spots - rarely do people notice. Sometimes they are impossible to hide; but more often than not you can part your hair differently, comb over the longer hair. It becomes a little tricky once the hair starts to grow back in - half inch long hair doesn't bend and usually has to be gelled down! My point is that you must continue to keep your spirits up while you search for a cure. Lotsa love to you. Julie

Kristina said...

Thanks so much, Julie. I really appreciate your encouragement and reassurance. ♥

Rebecca said...

My thyroid is causing the same issue! I've talked to my doctor and he thinks its stress. I am convinced it's because my thyroid is still not at the correct level. I use to have thick hair and not so much now. I know how you are feeling!

Anonymous said...

Just wondering if you have had your TSI,TPO antibodies tested and ultrasoundand RAIU test done?

Kristina said...

Yes, I had all of those levels tested. My TSH is still very low (<0.006) and will come up eventually. Originally, my T3 levels were over 7, which is very high. Had the antibodies and ultrasound and RAIU test done.

Anonymous said...

What was % of uptake, if you could recall that?

Kristina said...

Unfortunately, I was not given those results. My first endocrinologist just called me and said, "Yep, I was right! You have Graves. Start taking 30mg of Tapazol and book an appointment with me in about 4 weeks." I didn't get that as a part of the records that they forwarded over to my new doctor.

Anonymous said...

It is very strange, because the doctor should give to the patient a copy of every test result not just a blood test; I am not sure what your ultrasound says, but I can speculate that a right lobe of your thyroid was or is much larger then the left one.

Kristina said...

One of the reasons I left my past endocrinologist. I just did an ultrasound for my current endocrinologist and they said that the results were negative. My thyroid did not have nodules and was not enlarged on either side. This is partly because my current endocrinologist has gotten my thyroid under control. We're now waiting for the delay that it takes for my TSH to normalize. She said she might be able to back me off my meds at my next appointment on October 25th. :)